Friday, April 30, 2010

"Densely Arab Populated," The Big Lie



Batya Medad
Shilo Musings
30 April '10

Here's another of my contributions to rebranding, trying to change that gut-level, misunderstanding most people all over the world, including Israel, have about Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria.

I'll never forget reading that phrase "Densely Arab Populated" in The Jerusalem Post a number of years ago. The writer was describing Judea and Samaria. Ever since then, I always request that tourists and visitors take a good look. I've even dramatically opened my dining room window, even on a freezing winter's day, to stick my hand out and say:
"Look at these empty hills. This isn't a painted mural or photograph. There's plenty of land here and no need for the Arabs to insist that it's all theirs."

I'm always amazed to hear people imply that my home and community of Shiloh must be surrounded by Arabs. That's the impression they get from the media and politicians. Here are a couple of pictures I took recently walking between Shiloh and Shvut Rachel, the Jewish community just east of my house.





It's an easy walk, just takes a few minutes. There's an unpaved road. And no, we weren't armed. This may not be what the media claims and the politicians and diplomats believe. Remember that most high political officials get their news information via a predigested news digest, summary, composed and edited by staff members with agendas. Yes, to put it simply, they (politicians and diplomats) don't know bupkes.

These are untouched, uncropped pictures I took. Judea and Samaria and the Jordan Valley and the Golan Heights and most of the Gaza Strip are just as empty. If you believe the press, you've been had. So please pass this around, thanks.

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment