Monday, October 25, 2010

An Open Letter to Mike Leigh

Dan Gordon
American Thinker
24 October '10

Dear Mike,

Although we don't know each other, our paths have crossed over the years, and we have numbers of friends in common. Recently, you were invited to be a guest lecturer at the Sam Spiegal Film School in Jerusalem, where for a number of years I have offered scholarships for aspiring screenwriters. Like you, I am a Jew, a screenwriter, and a playwright who has known the thrill of having my words spoken by wonderful actors on screens and stages throughout the world, including many of the wonderful theaters in your country.

Like you, I had the honor of being invited to teach as a guest lecturer at the Sam Spiegel Film School in Jerusalem. It was a wonderful and rewarding experience, I assure you. Unlike you, I was sixteen the first time I was shot at. There were two incidents, actually, a few weeks apart. I mention this because in your letter to my friend Renen Schorr of the Sam Spiegel Film School reneging on your agreement to appear there, you cite as one of the reasons for the moral outrage you feel "the endless shooting of innocent people there [Gaza] including juveniles."

(Read full letter)

If you enjoy "Love of the Land", please be a subscriber. Just put your email address in the "Subscribe" box on the upper right-hand corner of the page.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment